News Writer Alfie Luck reports on the UN’s Criticisms of the Israel Defence Forces’ Recent Strike on Jabalia Refugee Camp in Northern Gaza

Written by Alfieluck

Recent military action by the Israel Defence Forces have come under criticism from the United Nations. At a press briefing in New York, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric commented that the Secretary General of the UN, António Guterres, ‘strongly urges all parties to the conflict to comply with international humanitarian law and emphasises that civilians must be respected and protected at all times.’

Guterres’ comments are in response to a recent Israeli strike on a food distribution centre in the Jabalia refugee camp located in Northern Gaza. The strike is rumoured to have killed at least 10 people, including women and children. The UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) claims shells from Israeli artillery struck the centre on Monday morning, as refugees were waiting to receive packages with food.

The artillery strikes on the Jabalia refugee camp is one of many attacks orchestrated by Israel following a recent offensive launched into northern Gaza on the 5th October, targeting the cities of Jabalia, Beit Lahiya and Beit Hanoun. The Gaza Ministry of Health estimates 350 Palestinians have been killed so far. Israel claims the offensive is another mission to target Hamas within Gaza.

The Gaza Ministry of Health estimates 350 Palestinians have been killed so far.

Prior to launching the offensive, Israel issued evacuation orders to citizens in Jabalia and others parts of Gaza. As a result, mass displacement has occurred. The UN states more than 50,000 people have fled the Jabalia area. However, Hamas has advised against citizens evacuating, warning that the south of Gaza is just as dangerous, and they will not be allowed to return afterwards.

The Israeli military is ‘forcing civilians to choose between starvation or displacement, while their homes and streets are relentlessly pounded by bombs and shells.’

The Israeli offensive has been heavily criticised by states, international bodies and charities. Concerns of human rights violations have been raised. Heba Morayef, MENA Regional Director at Amnesty International, claims the Israeli military is ‘forcing civilians to choose between starvation or displacement, while their homes and streets are relentlessly pounded by bombs and shells.’ A recent UN commission found war crimes and crimes against humanity in Israeli attacks on Gaza hospitals and their treatment of detainees and hostages.

Currently, the situation in northern Gaza is developing. There are concerns Israel is attempting to isolate northern Gaza in order to starve the population and prevent access to crucial humanitarian aid. However, Israel has denied such claims.

Read More News Articles Here:

Sue Gray Resigns: The Unprecedented Reconstruction of Starmer’s Government

Burbage Charity Bikes Support Breast Cancer UK: Crazy Lockdown Dad Idea Turned Fundraising Success 

Ex-Met PC David Carrick Charged with Sexual Offences