News Writer Dylan Morgen reports that the University and College Union (UCU) has launched a formal trade dispute against the University of Birmingham (UoB)

Written by Dylan Morgen

The University and College Union (UCU) at the University of Birmingham (UoB) said it ‘declared a formal trade dispute on the 12th October with UoB over on-campus working and teaching’ and this local dispute is ‘the first step in the union’s move to ballot for industrial action.’

The University countered saying: ‘We are extremely disappointed that UCU have decided to declare a dispute before the agreed procedures to try and reach a resolution have been exhausted.’

The UCU opined that the last time they attempted the agreed procedure, the University removed their issue from the agenda and that the pandemic needed immediate action.

The Union called for UoB ‘to move all teaching and working to online-only as the default option, except where this is practically impossible.’ It added that Industrial action could start with the re-opening of the University in January and could mean all teaching being done online.

Industrial action could start with the re-opening of the University in January.

It continued that it had ‘serious health and safety concerns about the University’s return to on-campus working and teaching.’ The University replied that claims by the UCU about campus safety were ‘unsubstantiated and inaccurate’ and added that the ‘safety and wellbeing of our staff and students is our priority.’

In particular the Union alleges failure firstly ‘of the University to restrict numbers of staff and students on campus to essential-only’ and secondly ‘to agree with UCU an acceptable model of teaching.’

The UoB UCU Branch President, Dr David Bailey, said: ‘our members are increasingly alarmed at the rapidly rising number of infections amongst students at the University and in the surrounding areas in the city – especially Selly Oak and Edgbaston.’

Furthermore, he added that a local UCU survey had shown 82% of members agreeing that current arrangements are unsafe. 

The Union added that ‘there is widespread confusion’ and claimed that ‘staff have been discouraged from isolating or moving classes online, even when they have taught students who have since tested positive.’

The University stated that it ‘adheres to all Government and Public Health England guidance and is in daily contact with regional public health colleagues around COVID cases in the University community and the mitigations being put in place to protect staff and students – and they continue to be very supportive of our approach.’

Like this article? Here are more from News: 

LAB11: We Are Not Paying £10k Fine

Durham University Faces Allegations over Prejudice Towards Northern Students

Study Reveals Adverse Effects of Lockdown on Mental Health