Film Writer Ninke van Tonder breaks down the Top Five Halloween films you can sink your teeth into this October

What’s better than watching no Halloween films this year? Watching five, obviously! Here are some of my top picks for this spooky season.

Re-Animator (1985, dir. Stuart Gordon)

Directed by Stuart Gordon and based on H.P. Lovecraft’s story, Re-Animator (1985) has gone down in film history as a camp cult-classic. The film blends comedy, horror, and science-fiction, all of which makes this film one to watch as Halloween approaches.

We follow Herbert West (Jeffrey Combs) as he battles the laws of science to reverse death. After roping in fellow student, Dan Cain (Bruce Abbott), the two find themselves in a number of sticky (or rather bloody) situations. Combs’ performance as the forthright and fidgety Herbert West is so brilliantly hilarious on its own, and is reason enough to encourage anyone to watch this movie.

From my personal experience with this film, I find that the less serious you take it the more you end up enjoying it. The film has a sort of 80s horror charm that feels so classic yet so individual, and is certainly one that is hard to come by.

The clever and witty script alongside the B-film budget horror makes the film an inventive classic. And while the theatrical-like tone certainly makes the film an easy watch, the classic 80s gore creates the spooky energy needed for a good Halloween watch. If you’re looking for a campy 80s film with oozing, luminous green vials of liquid and plenty of Talking Heads references, this is definitely the film to watch.

Wendell and Wild (2022, dir. Henry Selick)

If you’re looking for a film to watch with the family… Wendell and Wild is the place to look

Every time Halloween rolls around, I find everyone (including myself) being drawn back into rewatching Coraline and The Nightmare Before Christmas time and time again. And while both are classic Halloween watches for those of us raised in the early noughties, this year I want to put forward Sellick’s newer release: Wendell and Wild.

The boisterous and alternative Kat (Lyric Ross) finds herself in Rust Bank’s all-girl Catholic school after the death of her parents. As she struggles to find her place in the world and combats her own guilt, she is sought out by two demons – Wendell (Keegan Michael Key) and Wild (Jordan Peele) – who wish to travel to the Land of the Living.

While the film itself is significantly less popular than Selick’s previous releases, and many argue it isn’t his best work, it definitely holds up. Plus, it’s a wonderful choice if you’re looking for something different but still want to see that classic Henry Sellick magic. The film features a diverse cast with equally unique character designs; next to the wonderful Lyric Ross, the cast also stars the aforementioned Peele and Key, as well as James Hong, Angela Bassett and others.

If you’re looking for a film to watch with the family, or if you’re looking to really get lost in an entirely new and other-wordly universe, Wendell and Wild is the place to look.

Saw X (2023, dir. Kevin Greutert)

No photo description available.

It feels like a cardinal sin to make a Halloween-themed list and not include a Saw film. Saw X has been out for a little over a year now, but it still sticks in my head as one of the best films in the franchise. Anyone that knows me knows how much I adore these films, and going into the screening of this on opening night was nerve-racking as a longtime fan. Despite that, Greutert absolutely delivered.

Acting as a prequel set between the first and second Saw movies, the film sees the return of John Kramer (Tobin Bell), as he searches for a cure to his life-threatening cancer. Finding out that the medical team are not quite who they seem, he seeks the help of Amanda Young (Shawnee Smith) who puts the group through a series of brutal and ingenious traps.

If you’re into body horror, I could not recommend this film enough. The traps and gore are beyond intense, but it creates just enough suspense and thrill to keep you hooked; you can’t help but watch it! The film is relatively still watchable for those who aren’t familiar with the franchise, but it truly feels like a love letter to those who have watched the story of Saw unfold over the years. It really feels like a return to the classic, exactly how Leigh Whannell originally intended.

Lisa Frankenstein (2024, dir. Zelda Williams)

Lisa Frankenstein undoubtedly feels like a celebration of the joys of being a little bit weird

This film is the perfect blend of thrills and laughs, and is certainly an entertaining choice for this Halloween. Blending classic Halloween vibes with the humour and sincerity of classic rom-coms, Lisa Frankenstein is a great choice if you’re looking for something to watch with a big group of friends, or for those who maybe want an alternative that strays away from the more scary options this year.

Acting as a modern retelling of the Frankenstein story, the film follows a quirky teenage girl – Lisa (Kathryn Newton) – as she resurrects the long-dead corpse of The Creature (Cole Sprouse) using a tanning bed. The film features all the campiness of an 80s horror, while still feeling like an homage to all the ‘weird girls’ of today.

Lisa Frankenstein undoubtedly feels like a celebration of the joys of being a little bit weird. As Lisa explores her own identity through her adolescence – with her unique tastes and eccentric personality – and we see her relationship with The Creature blossom, audiences are provided with an abundance of both comedic and heartfelt moments, making the film perfect for anyone who prefers a more lighthearted watch this Halloween.

Hellraiser (1987, dir. Clive Barker)

A brilliantly ghastly manifestation of the supernatural, Hellraiser has solidified itself as a huge influence in cinema, making it a must-see for anyone who loves intense classic horror.

Featuring a mystical puzzle-box, egregious amounts of sadomasochism, and the iconic cenobite Pinhead (Doug Bradley), the film is packed full of suspense, and Barker’s cinematic direction is both visceral and inspired.

No photo description available.

The film feels like much more than a horror, as it certainly showcases elements of philosophical depth in its bizarre exploration of pleasure and pain. And, most of all, the film holds up surprisingly well, despite being well over 30 years old. The practical effects, though very much of its time, still creates a chilling air about the film, and really captures the grotesqueness of the Cenobites and their world. Character design, makeup and costumes are also impossible to ignore, and the iconic design of Pinhead’s character is one that really highlights the twisted and fantastic presence of the Cenobites throughout.

The gothic tone the film holds throughout, alongside its perfect blend of slasher elements, gore, suspense, and the supernatural, make the film a classic for anyone who really loves the nitty-gritty of the horror genre, and it exudes a quintessential Halloween vibe.