News Writer Vandra Mejudhon reports on Thai hostages reuniting with their families in Bangkok

Written by Vandra Mejudhon

‘A group of hostages were brought out of Gaza during the ceasefire with an estimated 81 Israelis citizens with 24 foreign nationals’ reported Sammy Westfall from Washington Post. 30 of the foreign nationals released were a part of the 30,000 Thai workers.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, following the release of 17 Thai migrant workers over the last week, is actively engaged in negotiations for the release of more Thai hostages still held by Hamas. 

They are not involved in politics, they are not part of anyone’s conflict, and they probably don’t even know how the situation came to be

‘They are not involved in politics, they are not part of anyone’s conflict, and they probably don’t even know how the situation came to be, who’s fighting with whom. They were there to earn a living.’ Thailand’s foreign minister told Reuters. 

Siblings Chanapa and Sirirat Bupasir eagerly await their brother Buddee Saengbun’s arrival in Bangkok. ‘We haven’t had any sleep…’ Chanapa told the BBC. The siblings left their village in the middle of the night to reach the airport on time. When asked what she would do when she finally meets her brother again, Chanapa simply said, ‘Hugs. Hugs and tears.’

Nattawaree ‘Yo’ Mulkan, the only Thai woman taken hostage by Hamas, has a mother, Bunyarin Srichan, who is ‘overjoyed’ and ‘can’t wait for her to come home.’ There are even promises of a celebratory meal with ‘the best sticky rice we’ve got.’

…who is ‘overjoyed’ and ‘can’t wait for her to come home.’

Malai Is-sara, whose husband Wichian Temthong had just started work in Israel before being taken hostage, told Al Jazeera that he went there to follow his dreams of building a house for his parents and paying for his children’s education. Despite the war, she believes he’ll ‘go back out to chase his dreams.’

According to the Bangkok Post, 17 of the Thai returnees received 94,526 baht (2,139.29 pounds) in the form of a cash card, usable worldwide, as compensation from Israeli authorities.

However, amidst the celebrations, the survivors take a moment of silence to remember those who were unable to make it back. Mr. Saengnuan expressed his sorrow, saying, ‘I’m saddened that my 39 fellow workers died, and would like everybody to take a moment to mourn their loss.’

Read more News articles here:

Birmingham’s Mailbox Hits the Market for £120 million

Birmingham Business School Achieves re-accreditation from the AMBA

King Charles Says ‘No Excuse’ For Colonial Violence in Kenya