Print&Features Editor Jess Parker gives a quick rundown of this year’s Eurovision including the Swiss winner Nemo

Print & Features Editor and MA Film and Television: Research and Production student.

Switzerland have won the 2024 Eurovision Song Contest with musician Nemo’s song, “The Code”. The competition’s final aired on May 11 2024. The Swiss entry stormed the leader board, receiving an astonishing combined 591 points from the jury vote and the public vote. This year’sEurovision Song Contest took place in Malmo, Sweden, after singer Loreen won 2023’s contest with her song “Tattoo”. The show was hosted by Swedish actor Malin Akerman and comedian Petra Mede. In total, 25 countries performed during the televised final there were 26 planned entries, however, Dutch entry Joost Klein was disqualified after a Swedish crew member made a complaint about his behaviour. Swedish police are reportedly investigating.

Second place was taken by Croatia’s Baby Lasagna, accumulating a total of 547 points. Baby Lasagna was the fan favourite-to-win. 2022 winner Ukraine came in third with Alyona Alyona and Jerry Heil earning a total of 453 points. France’s Slimane came in fourth with 445 points, and Israel’s Eden Golan took fifth place with 375 points. Baby Lasagna won the most public votes, receiving 337 points from those watching at home. Israel won the second-most public votes, with 323. The United Kingdom’s entry was Years & Years singer and It’s a Sin actor Olly Alexander, who received 46 points from the jury and a shocking zero points from the public vote. Alexander placed 18th overall.

Nemo is the first Eurovision winner to hail from Switzerland since Celine Dion won in 1988

Who is Switzerland’s Eurovision Winner, Nemo?

Nemo is the first Eurovision winner to hail from Switzerland since Celine Dion won in 1988. Before performing for a final time, the 24-year-old non-binary singer was presented with the trophy by two-time winner Loreen, who had previously performed a medley during the show that included her winning song. After winning, singer Nemo took to the stage to sing a more casual rendition of their winning number. Concluding the four-hour program, the singer accidentally dropped their trophy, a glass microphone, and injured their thumb. Speaking in a press conference after the show ended and now sporting a bandaged hand, Nemo said: “I didn’t just break ‘The Code’ I also broke the trophy, I broke my thumb as well. But I got a new [trophy] so I technically have two now.”

There was speculation surrounding whether Eurovision alum ABBA would reunite for the event. 2024’s final marked the 50th anniversary of the band winning the show and was hosted in their home country. ABBA won in 1974 with their hit song “Waterloo”. Although ABBA did not attend the event in-person, their virtual avatars appeared live from London’s “Voyage”. ABBA fans were also treated to an ABBA homage by former Eurovision winners Charlotte Perrelli, Carola Häggkvist and Conchita Wurstthen. The trio performed a rendition of “Waterloo”. The show also included performances from Blue Swede frontman Björn Skifs and Alcazar.

The 2024 Eurovision Song Contest was a turbulent venture. Nemo’s opera and hip-hop combo wowed fans and juries alike, running away with the judge’s vote and coming out on top with an impressive total. Signing off in his victory speech, Nemo said:  “I hope this contest can live up to its promise and continue to stand for peace and dignity for every person in this world.”

Read more from Redbrick TV: 

Review: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Review: Boy Swallows Universe

Review: Mr Bates vs The Post Office