News editor Ankita Dash sits down with newly elected Women’s Officer, Mimia Islam.

Guild of Students Women’s Officer (Part-Time) for 2024, Mimia Islam, vows to champion ‘serving the women of the community and doing justice to them in any way possible’ in the coming academic year.

In a detailed dialogue with Redbrick, Mimia Islam, the recently appointed Women’s Officer, conveyed her future plans and endeavours dedicated to improving the lives of female students at the university. Rooted in a deep-seated commitment to feminism and social justice, Islam’s agenda is poised to tackle systemic challenges and create a safer, more inclusive campus environment.

Reflecting on the impetus behind her decision to run for office, the appointed women’s officer shared her personal connection to the cause: 

‘I have always been a feminist, and I have always sort of had complaints or issues with the system, like many of us have,’ said Islam. ‘And I thought, well, why not step up to change this?’

There is so much we can be doing for women’s safety, for their mental health, emotional well-being, their social health, and to support them in their degrees as well.

Central to her campaign is the critical issue of campus safety, particularly concerning harassment. 

‘I did discover that about, I think, 77% of students will be, like, harassed or experience some sort of catcalling, bullying, name calling, inappropriate behaviours’, said the 3rd year medicine student, highlight the urgency of the situation. 

To combat this, she is determined to streamline the reporting process and ensure rigorous investigation of all cases, emphasising the importance of making ‘signposting easier’ and ensuring that ‘we investigate all cases fairly’.

Delving into the root causes of harassment and discrimination, Islam pointed to widespread cultural biases as a significant barrier to equality. 

‘The UN said 90% of men and women across the world have a bias against women,’ she cited, highlighting the pervasive nature of gender bias. 

Her approach to addressing this involves integrating educational programs and workshops aimed at dismantling these biases from the grassroots level, thereby cultivating a campus culture that respects and uplifts all its members.

When asked about the distinctiveness of her approach compared to previous officeholders, the officer acknowledged past perceptions of the role’s inactivity, saying ‘the Women’s Officer role hasn’t been very active in the last few years, so [the guild] was hoping for some change as well.’ 

Islam expressed a fervent desire to rejuvenate the Women’s Officer position with actionable plans.

‘There is so much we can be doing for women’s safety, for their mental health, emotional well-being, their social health, and to support them in their degrees as well.’

Of course, talking about it is sort of the support that you can get afterwards, but prevention, I think, is the best thing we can do.

One of the cornerstones of her manifesto is the comprehensive strategy to tackle assault, with a strong emphasis on prevention and support. 

‘Of course, talking about it is sort of the support that you can get afterwards, but prevention, I think, is the best thing we can do,’ the medicine student asserted. 

She advocates for a multi-pronged approach that includes enhancing campus security, promoting consent education, and ensuring the availability of support services for survivors. Islam is particularly focused on the implementation of CCTV as a deterrent and a tool for ensuring safety. 

‘Having a well-monitored campus can significantly reduce the instances of harassment and assault. It’s about creating an environment where everyone feels secure, and potential perpetrators know they’re being watched,’ she explained. 

The initiative is not just about installing cameras but about creating a sense of security that permeates throughout the campus, making it a safer space for all students, especially women.

The 3rd year student also is passionate about addressing the stereotypes and discrimination faced by women in the medical field, particularly the misidentification of female medical students as nurses. 

‘It’s a reflection of the ingrained biases in our society. Female medical students are often assumed to be nurses, while male nurses are mistaken for doctors. This bias undermines the professional identity and contributions of women in the medical field,’ she lamented

The issue of the pink tax is more than just about fairness; it’s about dignity.

Addressing the economic challenges faced by women, Islam proposed pragmatic solutions to alleviate the financial burdens associated with the ‘pink tax’ and other gender-based inequities. 

‘The issue of the pink tax is more than just about fairness; it’s about dignity. Why should women have to pay more for basic necessities? Providing free sanitary products on campus is a step towards acknowledging and addressing this disparity,’ she argued. 

This initiative is part of a broader effort to ensure that being a woman does not come with undue financial penalties, particularly in an academic setting.

In her conversation with Redbrick’s News Editor, Ankita Dash, Islam articulated a vision that extends beyond policy changes, aiming to cultivate a community where every student, regardless of gender, feels valued, safe, and empowered. Through her comprehensive and empathetic approach, Islam hopes to make a significant impact on the university’s landscape, driving forward initiatives that ensure equity, respect, and opportunity for all.

Read more News updates here:

Sunak Claims ‘National Service Will Keep Kids Out of Trouble’

University of Birmingham Expands Online Education Portfolio with Three New Programmes

Pope Francis Apologises for Using Homophobic Slur in Private Meeting