Deputy Editor Charlie O’Keeffee reports on security being increased at this year’s German Christmas Market in Birmingham.

Written by Charlie O'Keeffe

Birmingham Police have reported having ‘daily briefings’ and additional patrols in the city centre. Additionally, transport officers are also increasing their activities. There are extra patrols on trains, buses, and trams into Birmingham from across the West Midlands and the Black Country. 

The police have stated that these measures are being taken ‘to keep you safe.’ This sentiment was echoed by the organisers of Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market, who emphasise that the safety of market visitors is a priority. Interestingly, there will be fewer stalls this year, reportedly to create more space.

The police have stated that these measures are being taken ‘to keep you safe.’

A spokesperson for the Frankfurt Christmas Market mentioned that they are still monitoring ‘the latest Covid-19 information’ to ‘ensure that Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market is an event that everyone can enjoy safely.’ 

This heightened security is not unprecedented; last year, the police force collaborated with Frankfurt Christmas Market staff to share information during daily briefings. The first instance of armed patrols at the German market occurred in 2017.

In 2022, plain-clothed officers were present at the market to monitor for criminal activity, along with the dogs unit and drone teams as part of the operation. Armed patrols were also announced by the police during that time. 

…‘biggest authentic Christmas market outside of Germany’ supports over 7,000 jobs.

The decision to increase security this year comes after the announcement in July that the future of the market had been secured up to 2027. During a cabinet meeting on July 25th, strong support was expressed for the market, with members highlighting that the expenditure created from the ‘biggest authentic Christmas market outside of Germany’ supports over 7,000 jobs.

Cllr Liz Clements, explaining the market’s significance in Birmingham’s relationship with its sister city Frankfurt, argued that ‘In the Frankfurt Christmas Market, we genuinely have something that is unique. We need to preserve this.’ She also believes that ‘It enriches our Christmas offer and makes Birmingham a really sought-after tourist destination.’

Read more News articles here:

Arrest Made After Pedestrian Left in Critical Condition Following Alleged Hit and Run

Labour Pledges to End England’s Badger Cull if Elected

Leader and gang members of people-smuggling network sentenced