Culture Editor Ilina Jha reviews the smash-hit musical Hamilton, praising the dramatic and musical abilities of the cast and impressive production design

Written by Ilina Jha
Images by Danny Kaan

Hamilton. The musical that has 11 Tonys, 7 Oliviers, and a Grammy Award to its name. The pop culture phenomenon that changed the world when it first took to the stage in New York City in 2015. Now, it has come to the Birmingham Hippodrome, and will stay to delight audiences until 1st September 2024.

Many of you will be familiar with Hamilton already. For the uninitiated, this sung-and-rapped-through musical (written by Lin-Manuel Miranda) tells the story of Alexander Hamilton (Shaq Taylor), a man who rose from humble beginnings as an orphan in Nevis to become one of the Founding Fathers of the USA and the first Secretary of the US Treasury. Capturing the highs and lows of his personal and professional lives, Hamilton asks: what kind of legacy will you leave, and what will you lose in its pursuit?

Hamilton asks: what kind of legacy will you leave, and what will you lose in its pursuit?

Hamilton has huge cultural significance for all kinds of reasons, but one of the most important is the writing of the Founding Fathers and other lead characters as non-white characters, to be played by non-white actors. This courageous decision may have ruffled some feathers when Hamilton debuted in 2015, but it is a decision that has stood the test of time and is a real testament to the show. True to the show’s intentions, the UK & Ireland tour of Hamilton is dominated by actors from the Global Majority, and the entire cast is phenomenal. Taylor shines in the title role, capturing the idealism, ambition, and personal struggles of Hamilton. His wife Eliza is played stunningly by Maya Britto – her solo number ‘Burn’ is a highlight of the show.

The range of musical styles makes for a glorious kaleidoscope of sound

Before watching Hamilton, I’d heard great things about the musical score, so my hopes were higher than the stratosphere. But I need not have feared disappointment, because Manuel and Alex Lacamore truly understood the assignment back in 2015. With rap, blues, jazz, R&B, and hip-hop, the range of musical styles makes for a glorious kaleidoscope of sound, featuring iconic songs including ‘My Shot’ and ‘The Schuyler Sisters.’ Several numbers are accompanied by thigh-slapping dance extravaganzas, excellently choreographed by Andy Blankenbuehler (overseen for the UK & Ireland Tour by Carrie-Anne Ingrouille). The cast are to be applauded for singing, dancing, and rapping at breakneck speed for two and a half hours. Theatre is physically demanding work, and Hamilton makes this very evident.

Theatre is physically demanding work, and Hamilton makes this very evident

A special mention must be given to Howell Binkley, Ryan O’Gara, and Warren Letton for their excellent lighting design, capturing different moods throughout the show. In one hilarious scene, King George III (Daniel Boys) reveals bitterly that he is feeling ‘blue’ and stamps his foot like a toddler: in that moment, the spotlight on him turns blue. This quick, on-the-nose lighting change is a perfect comedic complement to this over-dramatic, whining King.

Nearly 10 years on from its debut, Hamilton is not just surviving; it’s thriving

On the face of it, the life of a treasury secretary wouldn’t seem to be very promising material for a musical. However, when that story was put into the hands of Lin-Manuel Miranda and an incredible team all those years ago, it became something bigger than a musical: it became a pop culture phenomenon. As the character George Washington (Charles Simmons) remarks: ‘Dying is easy. Living is harder.’ Nearly 10 years on from its debut, Hamilton is not just surviving; it’s thriving.

Theatre Review: Kyoto

Inaccessibility in the West End

Redbrick Interviews: Danny Robins, ‘Uncanny’