Music Editor Emma Gardner reviews Solar Eyes’s gig at the Hare and Hounds on the 10th March, describing it as ‘one of their best shows yet’

Written by Emma Gardner

Having recently signed to Fierce Panda Records who launched the likes of Coldplay, Solar Eyes have certainly proved over the past few months that they are one to watch. Their show at the Hare and Hounds on the 10th March undoubtedly was one of their best yet, hopefully being an exciting stepping stone to stardom. The show marked the release of their latest EP, ‘Naked Monkey on a Spaceship’, boasting an eclectic mix of new tracks like ‘Lucifer’s  Child’ and ‘Someone Else’ which were performed later on in the show. Both songs demonstrated ethereal synths and melodic vocals.

The small venue was full of excited fans, young and old, waiting for the spectacle to begin

Fans waited impatiently for the band to appear onstage, having just enjoyed a set from the enigmatic Big Special, who engaged onlookers with a Slaves-esque repertoire of songs and a vibrant demeanour. The small venue was full of excited fans, young and old, waiting for the spectacle to begin. The lights went down and frontman Glenn Smyth appeared from a door at the side of the stage. The crowd started cheering, and Smyth needed no introduction, oozing a silent charm and innate talent that demonstrated itself when he launched into the first song ‘Dreaming of the Moon’ from their debut EP released in 2022. This was followed by songs like the popular ‘Alcatraz’ and ‘Save my Soul.’

Smyth was joined by Seb Maynard-Francis, who provided an energetic panache for the drums to complement Smyth’s psychedelic guitar riffs. They were also joined by Liam McKeown on bass, who emanated a cool demeanour, playing some background bass grooves to add to the overall zest of the music. Tom Boddison completed the set on lead guitar.

The crowd were captivated, as many listened in awe to the exciting new psychedelic sound, sprinkled with a classic indie energy. For anyone new to their music, the best way to describe it would be sprinklings of Kasabian, The Black Keys, and something else that is completely alien to the music scene. Their sound is original, enthralling and their live stage presence fascinating.

The crowd were captivated, as many listened in awe to the exciting new psychedelic sound, sprinkled with a classic indie energy

Despite an initial lack of engagement with the crowd, Smyth later made an effort to introduce the name of each song and a bit of background, which was a nice touch, especially for new listeners.

Solar Eyes have recently boasted a wide range of musical accolades, from their music being played on Match of the Day, and playing at SXSW Festival in Texas. The band have also seen their music appear on programmes like Made in Chelsea, with famed DJ Steve Lamacq also playing their stuff on his show. There is no doubt that the band are certainly destined for something thrilling, but what exactly, I am excited to see.

Enjoyed this? You might also enjoy:

Live Review: The Lathums

Live Preview: Ava Max

Live Review: I Prevail