Travel Editor Caitlin McGraw reflects on Team GB’s premature Davis Cup exit

Written by Caitlin McGraw
4th year politics and sociology student. travel editor. lover of all things popular culture <3
Images by Caitlin McGraw

Group D of the World Cup of Tennis, the Davis Cup, saw four nations battle it out over a week in Manchester for two spots in the competition’s November finals in Malaga, Spain. Host nation Great Britain faced Finland, Argentina and Canada in the round-robin group stages with hopes of repeating last year’s feat of reaching the knockout rounds or even 2015’s tournament victory. Yet as the crowds grew and energy increased across the week with fans flocking to see the country’s male tennis stars, Team GB’s performances declined with each matchday, culminating in an underwhelming last day on Sunday 15th September at the AO Arena, which I attended.

GB’s campaign began on Wednesday 11th September against Finland, with the experienced Daniel Evans and Davis Cup debutant Billy Harris playing in the singles, before Evans returned in the doubles with partner Neal Skupski. The former two were successful in their matches, yet a clean sweep eluded GB as the Finns fought back to clinch the doubles victory, with the tie finishing 2-1 to the home side.

Expectations rose even higher for the second matchday on Friday, with Team GB facing tougher competitors in Argentina, and British number one Jack Draper making his first appearance since reaching the US Open semi-final, facing Francisco Cerundolo. However, both Draper and his compatriot Evans fell to defeat in their respective singles matches in straight sets, sealing the tie for Argentina, and threatening Team GB’s hopes in a tournament where every point counts. Evans and Skupski again returned for the doubles match to claim a consolation win to make the overall tie the same scoreline as Wednesday’s opener, but this time in favour of the away side. This result left the door open for any nation in the group to qualify onwards, whereas a win for GB at this stage would have secured their participation in the Malaga finals.

After criticisms from British courtside captain Leon Smith of the lack of audience support during the earlier stages, a record-breaking attendance for a British Davis Cup tie on the event’s last matchday created an eager and optimistic atmosphere. 15,700 fans packed out the Manchester Stadium and brought much support and excitement, as Team GB faced the Davis Cup’s 2022 winners Canada in a tie with big implications for both sides. The Canadians had enjoyed a more successful week thus far, winning matches against Finland and Argentina 3-0 and 2-1 respectively.

A record-breaking attendance for a British Davis Cup tie on the event’s last matchday created an eager and optimistic atmosphere

Following the arrival of both teams on court, a thrilling light show, and a passionate rendition of each national anthem, the day kicked off with the singles clash between Evans and Canada’s Denis Shapovalov who is ranked 76 places higher in the Association of Professional Tennis (ATP) rankings. The Brit, who boasts the second most Davis Cup appearances for his nation, started slowly and eventually succumbed to a rampant 6-0 defeat in the 25 minute-long first set, as a result of his opponent’s smooth ball striking and impressive dropshots. Evans’ may have been hampered by his recent lack of form and fitness, but the crowd’s rapturous encouragement inspired the Brit, whose hitting steadily improved in the second set.

The short periods in between points were filled with jingles blared out by Team GB’s loyal Barmy Army brass band in the stands, and silences were pierced by cheers of support and encouragement for the home team’s competitors. However, this was not enough to help mount a comeback as Evans lost the second set 7-5, squandering the home nation’s chance to qualify for the tournament finals early in the day, whilst Shapovalov’s victory ensured Canada’s progression to the event. Jubilant celebrations ensued for the visitors in contrast to the dampened mood of the fans in the arena and fellow GB players who dotted the sidelines.

Jubilant celebrations ensued for the visitors in contrast to the dampened mood of the fans in the arena

This result slightly soured fellow Brit Draper’s homecoming as Team GB had nothing but dignity to play for, yet his match-up with fellow top 20 player and young talent Felix Auger-Aliassime still provided a valuable opportunity to face off against a close competitor, and enjoy the rarity of playing in front of home fans. The evenly matched pair treated the Manchester crowd to a high-quality spectacle, trading blows and playing across the court without breaking one another’s serves to reach a first set tie break. Squeaking shoes and grunts of exertion echoed around the transfixed arena. The tie break went 17 points deep before the Canadian clinched the important two-point gap to secure the first set, prompting a frustrated outburst from Draper who proceeded to smash his racquet on the bright green hard court much to the shock of the crowd.

The floodgates opened as the Brit was then broken in the first game of the second set, with the Canadian’s trick shots contrasting the British number one’s powerful and accurate lefthanded returns. Despite showing more promise and extending well beyond two hours, the match still yielded the same result as Evans’ earlier defeat to secure Canada’s victory in the tie with no chance for Team GB to enjoy a win on the day.

This bad news, paired with the announcement of changes to both doubles teams’ line ups, saw the crowds thin out as the experienced Neal Skupski and reigning Wimbledon Doubles Champion Henry Patten took on Gabriel Diallo and Alexis Galarneau, who had previously appeared in Canada’s Davis Cup victory campaign in 2022. Canada pulled away early in the first set largely thanks to six foot eight Diallo’s imposing serve, but the British pair fought back. Spurred on by an enthralled crowd, the home team finally clinched their first set of the day six hours into Sunday, after a nail-biting 7-4 tie break.  This winning momentum continued as Team GB took a 7-6, 6-4 consolation victory. The less well-known players, not weighed down by the pressure to perform, seemed more able to enjoy the experience and showcase their skill.

Spurred on by an enthralled crowd, the home team finally clinched their first set of the day six hours into Sunday

With a repeat of the results against Argentina on Friday, Team GB’s week in Manchester and their Davis Cup hopes ended against Canada with only the doubles performances providing some comfort to the home side and their fans. Despite playing against competitors closely matched in the ATP rankings, a gulf in class and quality was apparent on Sunday, with the exception being the day’s highlight, the always enjoyable Draper- Auger-Aliassime face off. The power and togetherness of Team Canada who always impress in this tournament proved too much for a group of Brits very much in transition. With Evans’ future also up in the air, the need to continue growing British talent to be able to compete at the top level and match the quality of the world’s best players is evident. There is no doubt that the players’ passion was as infectious as the Union-Jack clad crowd’s, but a lack of quality and momentum across the week caused much disappointment for this year’s Davis Cup campaign, with Team GB missing out on Malaga whilst Canada and Argentina progressed.

Enjoyed this? Read more from Redbrick Sport here:

US Open: pre-weekend picks

Aston Villa secure Champions League football

Carla Ward bids farewell to Aston Villa women