Food&Drink writer Harriet Laban shares her recipe for crumbly and delicious cheese scones, perfect for a warm summer afternoon

Written by Harriet Laban
Food&Drink Print Editor. Third Year English Literature student. Foodie fanatic.
Images by Harriet Laban

A classic afternoon tea item, the cheese scone is a savoury baking staple. Tasting a bit like a perfectly crumbly Cheddar biscuit, these treats are quick to make and are great for a light lunch in the lockdown heat. I have been recently experimenting by including jalapeños for some extra kick, or sun-dried tomatoes to recreate the taste of the much-missed Mediterranean.

Makes a baker’s dozen (12 plus an extra)

Ingredients:

450 g self-raising flour, plus extra for rolling out

85 g salted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing

300 ml milk, plus extra for brushing

125 g grated mature cheddar cheese, plus extra for sprinkling

Pinch of salt

1 fresh jalapeño / 6-8 slices of jarred jalapeños, chopped finely (optional)

4 large sun-dried tomatoes, chopped finely (optional)

Method:

Preheat the oven to 170˚C (fan). 

Measure out your butter, softening in the microwave if a little hard. Into the same bowl, weigh out your flour, and put in a pinch of salt.

Using your fingertips, rub together the butter and flour to make breadcrumbs.Then, add grated cheese to the mix, and jalapeños and/or sun-dried tomatoes (if using). Using a knife, stir until even throughout.

Pour in the milk and mix with your hands until it comes together as a dough. If the dough is too sticky or too wet, don’t be afraid to add more flour or milk depending on the mixture’s consistency.Once the dough has come together, tip onto a floured surface. Knead lightly; heavy handling will knock out the air and prevent a good rise.

Roll the dough out to roughly 2.5cm-3cm thick, moving it around to prevent sticking. Using a round cutter, cut out your scones. Once you have cut out all the dough, bring the leftover dough together and repeat the rolling and cutting out process, until all dough has been used.

Place the scones onto a greased baking tray. Brush with milk and add a sprinkle of cheese to the top.

Bake the scones for 12-15 minutes, until golden on top, and hollow sounding when the bottom is tapped. Leave to cool.

Serve with your favourite savoury toppings, or with a simple pat of butter. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

More tasty bakes to try:

Vegan Banana Bread

Apple Frangipane Tartlets