Culture Editor Ilina Jha praises the Black Country Living Museum and Stratford-Upon-Avon as offering something different to Birmingham City Centre, highlighting the cultural immersion they both offer

Written by Ilina Jha
Images by Young Shih

Shops, arcades, bowling alleys. Pubs, clubs, and theatres galore. As a city, Birmingham certainly has much to offer. But if you are looking to escape the crowds and head for a calmer, greener atmosphere, there are two prime locations I would recommend: the Black Country Living Museum, and the quaint little town of Stratford-upon-Avon. 

Black Country Living Museum

The Black Country Living Museum (BCLM) is surely one of the top attractions that Dudley has to offer. And do not be fooled by the name — this is not your ordinary exhibits-behind-glass museum. Spanning an impressive 26 acres of land, the BCLM is an open-air museum that reconstructs Black Country houses, traditional shops, and trade workshops from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, allowing visitors to truly step back in time. Actors and volunteers are dressed in period costume to complete the atmosphere, and all are trained to answer any questions you may have. One of my favourite cottages has a beautiful garden, and there are even some friendly farm animals nearby.

The BCLM is an open-air museum that reconstructs Black Country houses, traditional shops, and trade workshops from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, allowing visitors to truly step back in time

You can easily spend a whole day at the museum, thanks to the sheer size and variety of activities onsite. You can strut your educational stuff in a traditional school lesson, complete with strict teachers, blackboards, and uncomfortable benches. Not for the faint-hearted is the opportunity to take a trip into an underground mine, experiencing one of the most important workplaces of the Industrial Revolution. Add to that live demonstrations of smithing, tours of the Boat Dock, and vintage films on show in a 1920s cinema, and you’re spoiled for choice at the BCLM. 

And when all this exploring has left you rather peckish, you can enjoy a hot lunch in the Workers’ Institute Café, get your hands greasy at the old-fashioned chippy, or treat yourself to a range of delightful confectionery from a twentieth-century sweet shop.

Stratford-upon-Avon

Anyone studying English Literature or Drama will no doubt visit Stratford-upon-Avon at least once during their time at UoB, and many will be familiar with the traditional attractions relating to our favourite dead, white, male writer. But William Shakespeare’s home town is not just for those who want to visit his houses or check out Anne Hathaway’s cottage — Stratford-upon-Avon offers plenty more for a fantastic day trip. 

There are a plethora of shops to browse in this small town, particularly along the pedestrianised Henley Street, where you’ll find many a tourist posing with the Shakespeare statue. As well as the expected Shakespeare gift and bookshop, Henley Street boasts some eccentric speciality shops dedicated to Peter Rabbit, magic-related fandoms (think Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings), and even Christmas.

Henley Street boasts some eccentric speciality shops dedicated to Peter Rabbit, magic-related fandoms (think Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings), and even Christmas

For a sweet treat, I have to recommend Hooray’s Gelato. My English Literature friends and I owe the discovery of this fantastic ice cream parlour to the wonderful lecturer Ella Hawkins (sadly no longer at UoB), who insisted that Hooray’s makes the best ice cream in Stratford-upon-Avon — and boy was she right. Not only is their ice cream perfectly creamy, they make an impressive range of flavours — apple crumble is one of my favourites. If it’s a sunny day, relaxing on the grass by the River Avon is the perfect location for enjoying your gelato. 

Sitting just on the banks of the Avon is, of course, the famous Royal Shakespeare Company. Their main building contains not just one, but two theatres: the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, typically used for productions by, well, Shakespeare; and the Swan Theatre, which often hosts innovative, contemporary plays. The RSC is well-renowned for a reason: their productions are world-class, and shows that have debuted at the RSC have gone on to West End and world fame — Matilda the Musical is a prime example. So, whether you are looking for a creative production of a Shakespearean classic, or ready to see the debut of an exciting new piece of theatre, the RSC is well worth a visit. Plus, they have a gift shop full of fantastic Shakespeare-themed goodies, ranging from ‘Team Capulet’ and ‘Team Montague’ badges to quill pens and books by actors, directors, and academics who all have an interest in Shakespeare. 

Whether you are looking for a creative production of a Shakespearean classic, or ready to see the debut of an exciting new piece of theatre, the RSC is well worth a visit

Read more from Travel here:

Best of Britain: The Bristol Hot Air Balloon Fiesta

Glasgow – Better than Scotland’s Capital?

Best of Britain: London