Digital Editor Halima Ahad gives her recommendations for quick and convenient halal food in supermarkets and around campus

third year eng & creative writing, aspiring journalist, former culture editor and current digital editor <3

The number of people eating Halal food across the UK has risen greatly and with the rise of this comes an increase of easy halal food access in supermarkets, including big names such as Asda and Tesco.

Halal, by definition, is translated from the Arabic meaning permissible or lawful in Islam. This is the Islamic dietary standard which many Muslims have to abide by according to the Shari’ah (Islamic law). There are many easy halal foods which you can purchase in supermarkets to make mealtimes effortless as well as cheap takeaways in Selly Oak which provide easy meals at affordable prices.

Halal translated from the Arabic meaning permissible or lawful

Halal freezer foods

Ceekays chicken nuggets and mini fillets

One day, when I went out to help my mom in her weekly grocery shop, we came across Ceekays. The packaging itself was already enticing so to find out it was halal too was also a bonus. When we tried it at home alongside our weekly meal of daal and rice, we found that their chicken nuggets and mini fillets were shockingly good and we have been eating them since. Ceekays are stocked mainly in Pakistani vegetable grocers (across Coventry Road) but many supermarkets have started stocking them too, including Iceland and The Food Warehouse.

Auntie Noray’s peri peri and chicken tikka pastries

My mom handmakes her own meat keema pastries occasionally but I discovered Auntie Noray’s peri peri and chicken tikka pastries whilst out on a weekly shop and thought to try them out. I was definitely not disappointed as the amazing flavours made my mouth water and come back for more. They have become a staple part of cheat meals for me since as I can easily put them in the oven without any hassle and they cook perfectly within half an hour to forty five minutes. Auntie Noray’s are stocked mainly in Asda and the brand includes many other staple Asian dishes such as chicken kebabs.

Humza’s chicken seekh kebabs

Another staple part of my cheat meals have been Humza’s chicken seekh kebabs, once again stocked in Asda, and the flavours were mouthwatering at every bite. I found the quality of Humza Premium Foods to be of restaurant quality and the prices of their Asian snacks were very affordable too (which is always a bonus when sticking to a student budget). Humza Premium Foods also stock many iconic halal Asian snacks, including the chicken seekh kebab’s counterpart.

The amazing flavours made my mouth water

Halal takeaways

Pepe’s Piri Piri Chicken (located on Bristol Rd)

Pepe’s is the best halal takeaway by far, as it provides many options at affordable prices for those on a student budget. Many meals come to £5.30 at most, including a side and drink as well as an array of side dips to choose from. My favourite meal has to be the fried chicken burger meal, with a side of fries and Diet Coke, as the flavours are enticing and the meal itself provides enough for the price.

Paprika Grill (located on Raddlebarn Rd)

Located on Raddlebarn road, in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Selly Oak, Paprika Grill provides halal food at an accessible price. Though I am yet to try it, this will definitely be going on my list as many reviews praise the meals which are at a good portion size as well as being very affordable which is very much a bonus on a student budget.

Grill N Shake (located on Oak Tree Ln)

Another one on my list of places to try is Grill N Shake and reviews coming in show similarities to the amazing hospitality, affordable prices and great portion sizes of Paprika Grill. The reviews praise the wide range of food provided at Grill N Shake, such as pasta to tacos, which shows the restaurant’s versatility in providing for the student community of Selly Oak.

Overall, I hope this guide helps you in sticking to your student budget whilst also treating yourself to the most delicious and affordable cheat meals and takeaways. Happy eating!

Hungry for more? Take a look at some of our other Food&Drink articles:

Budget Baskets: Shopping Halal in Selly Oak

Guild of Students Launch Community Pantry Service

Meal Deal Mayhem: A Battle Between Supermarkets