News Editor Ankita Dash reports on West Midlands Railway’s efforts to combat the issue of falling autumn leaves causing disruption across the railway lines

Images by Temo Morales

As autumn paints the landscape with vibrant colours, it also presents a unique challenge to the railways in the West Midlands and beyond, affecting braking, acceleration, and even signalling systems. To combat this seasonal issue, Network Rail has deployed a specialised fleet of ‘leaf-busting’ trains, assisted by aerial drones, to keep the rails clear. 

Aerial drones, introduced following a successful pilot last year, play a crucial role in this operation. Deployed across Network Rail’s Central and West Coast South routes, these drones monitor known ‘hotspots’ where falling leaves can cause significant disruptions. For the first time, remote cameras have been set up at three vulnerable locations. Control rooms can now observe real-time conditions, allowing track teams to swiftly clear the railway when necessary.

From early October until mid-December, six dedicated trains are on a mission to clear leaf debris from the railway lines across the West Midlands, West Coast, and Chiltern main lines. They will treat an impressive 100,946 miles of track — that’s nearly four times around the Earth’s equator. This effort marks a 20% increase from the previous year, underlining the railway’s commitment to passenger safety and service reliability.

Six dedicated trains are on a mission to clear leaf debris

The challenges posed by leaves on the line are not to be underestimated. Leaf debris sticks to damp rails, creating a layer akin to black ice on roads. This can impact train braking and acceleration, making the railways less safe and reliable. Moreover, the build-up of leaf mulch can interfere with the functioning of track sensors, making it challenging for control rooms to precisely locate trains.

The fleet comprises three Multi-Purpose Vehicles (MPVs) and three Rail Head Treatment Trains (RHTTs). These trains employ high-pressure water jets to clear leaves from the tracks. What follows is a unique solution: a glue-like coating applied to the rails, enhancing the grip of train wheels. This innovative approach ensures that trains can navigate the tracks safely, even when they are covered in a thin layer of leaf debris.

Martin Colmey, Operations Director for Network Rail’s Central route, emphasised the significance of this annual operation, stating, ‘We are ready to keep people and goods moving across the West Midlands and Chiltern Main line running a safe and reliable service for our customers.’

Read more News Articles here:

ValeFest 2023 Cancelled

Suella Braverman Announces Plans to Ban International Students Bringing their Families to the UK

Vote of No Confidence in Guild President Motion Goes to All Student Vote