Deputy Editor Oscar Frost reflects on the contribution of his extracurriculars, especially his time at Redbrick, to his university experience and towards his next steps

Written by Oscar Frost
Hi! I'm Oscar, and I'm one of your deputy editors for the coming year. I was also a sports editor for two years, and a writer for a year before that.
Images by Joshua Hoehne

In sixth form, I was divided by a toss-up between Newcastle and Birmingham. I could not decide where to go next to continue my studies. I knew I wanted to do a history degree, but the course content and facilities were not exactly at the forefront of my decision of where to go next. Instead, I looked for the intangibles. I liked the culture at Birmingham, and it seemed like the kind of place where there was more than meets the eye. 

Now, reflecting back on my four years at university, it is evident that these extras aside from my degree have been the characterising parts of my experience. Not only that, but the societies and intangibles throughout my university career have propelled me forward, far  further than the degree itself.

The societies and intangibles throughout my university career have propelled me forward

This is not to say that my degree has been useless. In fact, my dissertation in particular has been the most fulfilling singular piece of work I have undertaken throughout my education. Navigating the nicheness of Shetland’s gender politics consumed my life, sure, but the process and the outcome were worth the effort. The intellectual challenge of creating something which adds to the historical archive was genuinely enjoyable, and the independence granted by such an endeavour felt like the venture that a challenging higher educational course should be. 

My individual modules, however,  have, in my opinion, been a side-show to my involvement in societies. 

Being the Deputy Editor of Redbrick has by far been the most useful part of my degree in terms of applying for jobs after my graduation. In fact, my interviews with news outlets of late have all consisted of asking questions, almost solely, around my time at Redbrick. The problem solving, writing and editing skills I have gained from my time with the paper have been invaluable, and the various scenarios I have found myself in, requiring adaptability and quick thinking, have been perfect for giving anecdotes in interviews. 

My time as a sports editor, too, is at the top of my CV. 

My degree, on the other hand, is left by the wayside. In some ways it has acted as a mere box-ticker that grants access to higher opportunities, rather than a central part of the springboard onto something much bigger after. Gone are the days in which a degree alone will be enough to land that grad job you have been eyeing up, or a job with that dream company. 

And yet, despite degrees being seemingly more worthless than ever, there are still record numbers of students applying to higher education institutions. Three years in a row, from 2020 to 2022, applications were at an all-time high. 

There is an adage beginning to become popularised in which a master’s is now worth the same as an undergraduate degree to employers. Although a master’s is more academically demanding, I do not believe that it should be the case that students are forced into another year at university to be recognised by employers.

However, I also believe that the parameters for what is judged as a successful degree has changed. Now, it is no longer the case that a first-class degree will get you into a job. We are now judged on the more valuable skills that are gained on the sidelines, it is the soft skills that matter, rather than the purely the intellectual pursuit. 

It is the soft skills that matter, rather than the purely the intellectual pursuit.

The ability to work with people on group projects, to make friends with people from different places and backgrounds, and the timekeeping skills necessary to continue societies alongside study have, in my opinion, become more valuable in today’s climate. It is not that personality hires are all the rage, but rather that it is evident that the societies offered by universities can add just as many strings to students’ bows as their studies. 

I do not regret doing a degree by any means, and I certainly would not choose to be anywhere else for my four years of undergraduate study. However, I am incredibly grateful that my somewhat lonely first-year self in the midst of a pandemic decided to attend a sports team meeting for Redbrick. If I had not, my CV would be empty, barring minimum wage retail and bar jobs. My only draw would be a degree in history, which is no longer enough to stand students in good stead for landing a job that justifies the price tag of university education.

Doing Redbrick, alongside other sports and societies, has not only set me up for a future in journalism, but it has also taken the stress away from results day, as my extracurricular activities have allowed me to succeed where, I believe, my degree has perhaps sold me short. 

For more Comment articles on university:

Should students have part time jobs? 

Tackling mental health as a young muslim today

Four years, Four lessons