News Writer Aleena Khan reports on Civil Service jobs with thousands coming to Birmingham

Written by Aleena Khan

The government is actively working to establish a new hub for civil service jobs, aligning with their ‘level-up’ initiative to shift jobs away from London and into various parts of the country.  The ‘Places for Growth’ programme aims to relocate 22,000 jobs by 2030. So far, 14,000 jobs have already been successfully moved.

Birmingham has been emerging as a significant destination for Civil Service operations

Birmingham has been emerging as a significant destination for Civil Service operations.  The Arena Central and Stephenson Street in Birmingham house various civil service departments, including HMRC and the Department for Work and Pensions. 

Birmingham Hub 3, a new project, anticipated to open in 2028, is projected to create 4,000 new job opportunities. The Department for Transport and National Highways, among others, are expected to transition to this new hub.

At present, the West Midlands already hosts 32,000 civil servants, with both Coventry and Wolverhampton experiencing an increase in civil service presence. These regions may continue to witness additional job opportunities within the civil service sector in the future.

Read more News articles here:

Birmingham’s Mailbox Hits the Market for £120 million

Birmingham Business School Achieves re-accreditation from the AMBA

King Charles Says ‘No Excuse’ For Colonial Violence in Kenya