News writer Colby Lazcano reports on the selection of UoB’s rare earth magnet recycling technology for the Minerals Security Partnership Project

Written by Colby Lazcano
2nd Year Undergraduate - BSc Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery
Images by Korng Sok on Unsplash ">Korng Sok for Unsplash

On October 26th, the University of Birmingham announced that HyProMag Ltd, a company with ties to UoB, was selected by the Minerals Security Partnership (MSP) as one of 17 projects tasked with improving net-zero carbon mineral supply chains for companies and governments. 

Initially established by former and current university members, HyProMag’s project, which UoB has provided technology for, is centred around recycling rare earth magnets, crucial components in the renewable energy industry. The company is now owned by Mkango and CoTec.

‘This is an extremely exciting development and demonstrates how research from the University can have a global impact,’ said Professor Allan Walton, currently working at UoB.

‘This is an extremely exciting development and demonstrates how research from the University can have a global impact.’

Rare earth metals, akin in abundance to common metals like zinc, pose challenges due to their energy-intensive extraction from ores, and the waste this causes. Nevertheless, they play crucial roles in technology, from computer hard drives and audio speakers to wind turbines and MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) machines. 

To meet the UK’s green commitments and reduce dependence on China, there’s a growing push for improved recycling and alternative sourcing of these metals.

Hydrogen Processing of Mechanical Scrap (HPMS), the process, entails removing the metal from the object physically and converting it into a powder to reduce its magnetism. The subsequent step allows the metal to regain its solid form and magnetism. This follows the establishment of a pilot plant to enable the HPMS process to occur at a larger scale than before. 

‘Enabling the production of rare earth alloys and magnets with a significantly reduced carbon footprint.’

HyProMag Ltd’s project is one of the seven projects in the 17 internationally, to be focused on rare earth metals, and one of onlyKorng Sok two, as stated by both UoB and the MSP, to focus on ‘recycling and recovery’.

‘We see this as a significant endorsement of the technology, which can make a substantial impact in unlocking the supply chain for rare earth magnet recycling from end-of-life products,’ says William Dawes, the CEO of Mkango, following the election of HyProMag Ltd’s project. 

Read more News stories here:

Rishi Sunak Sacks Suella Braverman following Controversial Times’ Article

Man set on fire whilst sleeping in Birmingham underpass

Recreational use of ‘laughing gas’ now illegal in England and Wales