News Writer Vandra Mejudhon reports on Birmingham Family’s Four-Year Plea for Help in ‘Unsafe’ Council Flat Nightmare

Written by Vandra Mejudhon

Amidst the ongoing Cost of Living Crisis, some households in Birmingham are grappling with a potential £360 council tax hike, prompting local authorities to issue bankruptcy warnings. Around 23,000 households in Birmingham are suffering under a series of safety issues including ‘overdue asbestos’ and ‘fire and electrical risks’ according to the Regulator of Social Housing (RSH).

Within the realm of this crisis is Summercourt House Property, a Selly Oak home where a family of four, including two young children, resides. For seven years, this family has endured the presence of ‘black mold seeping through the yellow ceiling,’ a problem that originated as a small leak in the ceiling four years ago.

‘black mold seeping through the yellow ceiling’

Keith Sidi, a relative of the affected family, expressed concern about the deteriorating conditions: ‘The water has seeped into the wiring, causing the switches to blow and presenting a safety hazard. I don’t want another incident to occur in the house when there are kids and a family in there; you never know what’s going to happen.’

Recently, the eight-year-old daughter suffered harm when the lights blew after she touched the switch to enter the bathroom. Despite consistent pleas for help over the years, the council only responded after three years.

‘It’s got worse over the past four years. From day one, we realized the roofing was leaking, so we got in touch with the council and let them know there was a leak. For the first year and second year, they didn’t do anything.’ said Mr.Sidi.

Despite repainting the damp walls caused by the leaking water, the problem persists.  Concerned that the ‘root cause of the issues’ is being overlooked, Mr Sidi ‘fears more problems were inevitable if it was not resolved.’

From day one, we realized the roofing was leaking, so we got in touch with the council and let them know there was a leak.

In a Birmingham City Council statement, the local authorities apologize for this incident, describing it as an ‘inconvenience’. The statement further stated that they have ‘sent someone out on an emergency basis to ensure the property is safe’ and their ‘contractors attended the property several times to establish the root cause of the leak and carry out repairs.’

Amidst the crisis, the government advises affected households to apply for Council Tax Reduction, offering up to a 100% discount on the council tax bill in certain cases for those with low incomes or claiming benefits.

However, for some families, the safety of their homes, particularly for their children, takes precedence over any potential council tax discounts. Kayleigh Kimberley, residing near Browning Tower, encapsulated the sentiment, stating, ‘When it comes to children, there are no words – the anger is just indescribable.’

Read more News articles here:

Security Will Be Increased at this Year’s German Christmas Market in Birmingham

Birmingham Recycling Technology Selected as Minerals Security Partnership

Thai Hostages Reunite with their Families in Bangkok