Gaming Editor Louis Wright reflects on his time living in Birmingham

Gaming Editor | ( ̶T̶e̶m̶p̶) Lead Developer | MA Film & Television Research & Production | BSc Computer Science | BurnFM Deputy Station Manager | Generally Epic
Images by Adam Jones

I am a lifelong Birmingham local. So local in fact that my passport lists my ‘Town of Birth’ as ‘Selly Oak’. That is not a joke. Having been a Birmingham prisoner, rattling the bars of my cage, for 22-years now, I feel myself adequately equipped to discuss what life in Birmingham is like.

Life in Birmingham has been far from ideal. While I personally managed to make it through childhood unscathed, there are more than a few people I know that have suffered from being in the area. Between arrests, stabbings, and the poor attainment rates of the area for GCSE results, it can be difficult for someone living in a poorer neighbourhood in the city to get their start in life. 

Northfield (a short hop on the 61/63 bus from university, for anyone interested in visiting) is one such neighbourhood which breeds this more disordered environment. Having a postcode of such disrepute that it fulfilled 2 out of the 3 categories necessary for me to get onto the Pathways to Birmingham scheme, I would say it is as good as any case study into why certain areas of Birmingham carry such a negative reputation. With many of the shops on the high street closing, the once bustling hotspot of life, that I was so acclimatised to in childhood, has since fallen into complete disarray. 

The underfunding that many areas of the city feel, especially with the recent bankruptcy of the local council, breeds a precarious environment in the areas already suffering. With an increase in crime in the area over the last few years, Northfield is just one area of the city that is harmed by the impact of poverty, with nearly 50% of all crimes being classified as ‘violent’, with crimes often attributed to the low income rate. The effect is devastating, to the extent that it  is ranked 225/292 in terms of general safety of Birmingham areas.

The conditions of an area forced into a desperate situation

And this is something I can personally attest to. In my first few months at sixth form, I was witness to a triple stabbing outside of my school. This was after numerous knife incidents at my secondary school that resulted in lockdowns for students still in the school. Knife crime was desensitised amongst the pupils, as the potentiality of a knife crime incident became accepted as the school norm. 

The general environment of knowing that a knife incident was potentially on the horizon became the norm at a certain point, and a general desensitisation to the issue amongst the pupils.

All of this comes together to give me a fairly negative view of Birmingham, despite it being the only home I have ever known. The areas that I have come to know fairly intimately are ones where I know that tragic events have occurred, and that there remains a genuine risk to be living in. And, my experience shows me that  this certainly is not the fault of the people living in them, as many of the regular faces that I have met through my life are enjoyable company, but rather the conditions of an area forced into a desperate situation.

This is not to say that Birmingham is a horrendous place to live in general, just that certain areas find themselves more precarious than others. Halesowen, for instance, is one area that proposes itself as a homely place. With lower crime rates and a bustling and healthy high street, it is an enjoyable area to spend the day in. Likewise, many areas of the city centre provide plenty to do for a day out with friends, and safe, quiet areas that one can relax in. 

While I will complain about Birmingham and be vocal of its negative aspects, it is still a city that I love and will call home. Whether it be a nostalgic attachment or the knowledge that the city has the potential to be great with better management, I made the decision to come to university here after 18 years of living in the city. Where you are raised influences you greatly in life, and for better or for worse Birmingham has certainly had its influence on me.

For more Comment articles read here: 

Our role in Climate Justice

Is Labour’s 13 Years of Anguish Ending? 

Being Young and Chronically Ill