Mood Valiant is a stunning album from Hiatus Kaiyote, easily one of the best of the year so far, Music Critic Seb Rolley reviews.

Written by Seb Rolley
English Lit student, music lover and confused jazz bass player

Released on Flying Lotus’ record label Brainfeeder, Mood Valiant is Australian neo-soul heroes Hiatus Kaiyote’s first album in 6 years. Despite such a long gap, anticipation for a new album from the band has not diminished and the announcement earlier this year that they would be releasing new music inevitably brought with it a huge wave of excitement. Even in the face of such huge anticipation Mood Valiant does not disappoint. It is by-far-and-away their best effort yet, a constantly surprising yet completely cohesive collection of intricate and emotionally charged songs.

Even in the face of such huge anticipation Mood Valiant does not disappoint

The album opens the short but beautiful introductory track of ‘Flight of the Tiger Lily’ before transitioning into the diptych of ‘Slip Into Something Soft’ and ‘Chivalry’s Not Dead.’ ‘Slip Into Something Soft’ feels like familiar territory for the band, with keys reminiscent of Tawk Tomahawk standout ‘Rainbow Road’ and a groove with effortlessly drags behind the beat. As the album transitions into ‘Chivalry’s Not Dead’ however, it is clear that the band are breaking into new territory on Mood Valiant. The song somehow manages to feel exactly like Hiatus Kaiyote without sounding like anything they have ever done before. The verses are angular and brimming with energy, but what sticks with me most is the chorus. Oh my god, the chorus. The slap bass from Paul Bender hits like a gut punch, accompanied by one of the best vocal lines from the band’s discography. An impressive start to the album to say the least. 

Mood Valiant is, to my ears, the most sonically adventurous of the band’s releases, incorporating a range of sounds including electronics and production techniques reminiscent of jazzier electronic artists such as Squarepusher. Take the opening of ‘All the Words We Don’t Say.’ The pulsating bass synthesiser which drives the song is a fresh addition to the band’s sonic palette, one which brings with it a kind of knotted, dark tension unseen in their earlier work. About two thirds of the way into the song, Nai Palm unleashes a huge vocal refrain which seems to release all of the tension that has been bound up in the track before transitioning into a quieter, more free outro. These new sonic territories, perhaps best found on this track, are able to take Mood Valiant’s songwriting into exciting new territory without ever losing the unmistakable musicianship of a Hiatus Kaiyote tune.

Mood Valiant is, to my ears, the most sonically adventurous of the band’s releases

In the context of the album as a whole, lead single ‘Get Sun’ remains a clear standout moment, not least because of featured artist Arthur Verocai’s stunning orchestration. Verocai, whose self-titled album stands as one of the greatest ever released, is the perfect addition to the band’s sound, contributing strings and horns which flesh the track out without ever overcrowding the core sound of the quartet. Other highlights from the tracklist include ‘Rose Water’ and its hypnotic looped piano, the minimalist wonky groove of ‘Red Room,’ and the stunning ballad ‘Stone or Lavender’ (another song which benefits immeasurably from Verocai’s orchestration). Coming away from the album though, what is most striking is just how essential each song feels within the 12-track runtime. Each feel distinct in-and-of themselves which still building towards the cohesive whole that is Mood Valiant

Those coming to Mood Valiant expecting more of the same from Hiatus Kaiyote might leave feeling a little disoriented, but anyone willing to embrace new directions from the quartet will find everything that has always made them so great intact here, just applied to exciting new artistic directions. Mood Valiant is a stunning album, easily one of the best of the year so far. 

Mood Valiant is available now via Brainfeeder

You Might Also Like 

Single Review: The Black Keys – Going Down South

Album Review: Greta Van Fleet – The Battle at Garden’s Gate

Album Review: Squid – Bright Green Field