Deputy Editor Hannah Gadd previews Beabadoobee’s latest album, describing it as ‘nuanced and introspective’

The release of Beabadoobee’s third upcoming studio album is upon us and it’s her most sonically assured album to date. Getting the chance to preview albums before their official release date is always exciting, going into the record with no preconceptions is a fantastic way to experience an album and even more so for the likes of Beabadoobee. This Is How Tomorrow Moves is a solid third album for Bea and a testament to her growth as an artist. 

The lead single ‘Take A Bite’, kicks us off and sets the tone for the rest of the album with its appropriately delicious hook and colourful storytelling.

The lead single ‘Take A Bite’, kicks us off and sets the tone for the rest of the album with its appropriately delicious hook and colourful storytelling. ‘California’ follows, its clunky beat opening the track establishing itself as one of the edgier songs on the album. The chorus is pure bliss, Bea’s soft voice on top of an electric guitar hook creates a perfect musical juxtaposition. 

‘One Time’ is a serotonin-infused listen which transports us into a whimsical soundscape; ‘Beaches’, which sits towards the end of the album, sounds like it’s more guitar-driven sibling. ‘Real Man’ has a swing-style melody, giving it a sort of retro-jazz vibe whilst still sounding true to Beabadoobee. As we progress further into the album and explore its diversity, Bea presents herself as a multifaceted artist. ‘Tie My Shoes’ and ‘Coming Home’ are fuelled by gentle acoustic guitars; the latter sounding like her viral hit ‘Glue Song’s more mature counterpart. 

Throughout the album the singer is letting us into her mind with her descriptive lyricism and authenticity. 

Lyrically, the album is one of honesty and reflection, ‘Girl Song’ being a particular standout in that department. The piano ballad sees Bea discussing her insecurities from body image to relationships. Throughout the album the singer is letting us into her mind with her descriptive lyricism and authenticity. 

‘Everseen’ sits at about the halfway point in the running order, grounding fans with the familiar twinkling acoustics of the album’s third single. I found ‘Post’ to be a particular shining moment towards the end of the album and should not be overlooked, sounding like dad-rock meets Sheryl Crow in the best possible way. 

As we make our way towards the end of the album we are met with the seemingly country-inspired track ‘Everything I Want’ before being welcomed by the warm acoustics of ‘The Man Who Left Too Soon’. ‘This Is How It Went’ is a perfect ending note. The lyrics, ‘Writing ‘cause I’m healing/ Never writing songs to hurt you’, discuss the relationship between songwriting and breakups.

Across the span of fourteen songs, Beabadoobee has proved that she is only getting better.

This Is How Tomorrow Moves is a nuanced and introspective body of work. Across the span of fourteen songs, Beabadoobee has proved that she is only getting better. Whilst showing artistic development, the album is still quintessentially Beabadoobee and fans will undoubtedly love this upcoming release.

This Is How Tomorrow Moves by Beabadoobee comes out 9th August 2024!

Enjoyed this? You might also enjoy:

Live Review: B-Town Indie Night

Album Review: Ashton Irwin- Blood on the Drums

Live Review: Raye at BBC Radio 1 Big Weekend