Life&Style Writer Grace Fynn gives advice to freshers from a third-year student’s perspective

Written by Grace Fynn
Images by Mikael Kristenson

You are in a weird sort-of limbo, a summer of suspended reality, pub gardens and group holidays to Zante, otherwise known as that strange summer just after A-Levels and before everyone goes to university. From my own experience, this summer is one of the best you’ll ever have but will forever be tinged with the nerves and worries of moving to university. Arguably, it is one of the biggest changes you will ever face as a young person, but my hope with this silly little list, is to make the whole thing a lot less daunting than it might seem right now.

So, what wise wisdom can I (a practically ancient old lady now) bestow on you?

1. Join the society

Some of the best friends I have made at university have been from societies. I personally joined the dance society (BUDS) and then the societies for my degree (the history society and the politics society). Politics society and dance in particular have become integral parts of my university experience, having met one of my third year housemates at dance and making the majority of my course-friends through the politics society.

Without joining these societies I would have had a much lonelier and less fulfilling university experience. Branch out, even if that means going to a welcome event by yourself, be brave and do it. The committee will be expecting people to come by themselves, and I guarantee you will meet someone who also went by themselves.

Some of the best friends I have made at university have been from societies

2. Go to lectures

This one might seem obvious but hear me out. The lack of an actual register and nothing forcing you to go to lectures can make it very tempting to not go, but try and resist. Trust me, it is for the best. Not only will it stop you from falling behind, it will also stop you from going stir crazy sitting in your flat by yourself all day. I have very few contact hours (got to love the humanities), and making sure I went to the contact hours I did have made a massive difference to my anxiety and my mental health. Simply getting out the house and chatting to people can really help and give structure to what can otherwise feel like a very aimless and sometimes pointless time.

Made a massive difference to my anxiety and my mental health

3. Go home as much as you like

There is a real tendency to tell freshers that they need to hold off going home for as long as possible, which I do not think is quite right. Everyone has their own normal with this and you should not worry if you’re going home more than your flatmate who is sticking it out until Christmas. It does not make you any less cool and you will not be missing out on much by going home at weekends (everyone is hungover, miserable, and mostly far too poor for fancy brunches anyway).

This is coming from someone who went home every other weekend, had the most amazing time at university, and has never really felt like they have missed out on much at all. Those weekends at home were really important for me to recharge, take a breath, and set me up to have a much better time once I went back to Brum. So feel no shame in running back to your comfy bed and the joy of someone else cooking for you every now and again.

Weekends at home were really important for me to recharge

4. Finally, do not worry too much if you do not gel with your flatmates

It may seem like the end of the world but you will make so many other friends. My first year flatmates were not my closest friends, but all that meant was I branched out more and made really good friends elsewhere.

If you find yourself in the same position, put yourself out there and be brave. Go to course mixers, all the welcome pizza parties (even if just for the free food), and introduce yourself to the flats nearby. It will mean introducing yourself to strangers but it will all be worth it in the end. Take it from someone who met her second year house mates by introducing herself to strangers on move in day.

Put yourself out there and be brave

After all that, I hope you’re feeling a little bit more prepared for the three (or more) years ahead of you. They are going to be some of the best years of your life, with many many ups and downs, but so incredibly worth it. So, go forth and enjoy!

Read more article from Life&Style:

Why are celebrities obsessed with ‘tration’?

The Astrocartographer’s guide to success?

Festival Fashion Hacks: How to Balance Style and Practicality